Everyone is a missionary where you live, work, and play, and every mission endeavor begins with and is sustained through prayer. Our For The Fort emphasis for the month of January is to spend some time prayerwalking your neighborhood.
Almost every short-term mission team that we have sent out has spent some time prayerwalking around neighborhoods where our church planters and missionaries live. The reason for this is that our church planters and missionaries have recognized the fact that if they are going to see people become disciples, it will only be through the power of God. Accessing this power is as simple as asking for it!
We want to challenge you to intentionally spend some time through the month of January walking around your neighborhood and praying for the people in the homes you pass. You can choose to pray silently or out loud. Here are some things to pray for as you walk…
- that God’s glory would be shown in this neighborhood
- that the people in these homes would feel a need to follow Jesus
- that God would give you opportunity to meet your neighbors
- that God would reveal the needs in your neighborhood
- that God would give you the opportunity and boldness to share the gospel
- that the powers of evil would be held at bay
There is going to be a temptation to not do this activity because it feels like you are not accomplishing anything. This is a complete lie from Satan and really hits at the core of your beliefs about God and the power of prayer. Let’s claim the truth of scripture and get out to fight the spiritual battles in faith.
I called to the Lord in my distress,
and I cried to my God for help.
From His temple He heard my voice,
and my cry to Him reached His ears.
Psalm 18:6 HCSB